General Requirements


If you want to study a degree programme leading to a Bachelor's degree, you need a higher education entrance qualification (HZB). These are certificates qualifying you to study in Germany - in particular your school-leaving certificate. Depending on your country of origin, you may also need the proof of a few semesters of study in your home country.

If you want to apply for a Master's study programme in Germany, you generally need to have completed a first degree in a related subject.

Your degree must be equivalent to a German Bachelor's degree.

The recognition of certificates as a higher education entrance qualification and/or as a Master's entrance qualification varies depending on the country of origin. There are also different requirements for different degree programmes. A decision on admission / rejection for the respective program you applied to will only be taken after all of the needed application documents have been reviewed.

Please refer to the descriptions of the study programmes for additional requirements.

Entrance Assessment (for Applications to Bachelor's Degree Courses)


If your school degree does not grant you access to higher education in Germany, you have to attend a Studienkolleg first. It prepares you for studies in Germany as it provides both language and subject-related. Hence, it provides the necessary prerequisites for successful university studies including the needed German skills.

The Studienkolleg concludes with the so-called assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung). The exam is usually taken after completing one year of a Studienkolleg’s specialisation courses.

The following specialisation courses are assigned to the study programmes at the Studienkolleg:

  • Economics and social science degree programmes: W-course,
  • technical, mathematical and natural science degree programmes: T-course,
  • medical and biological degree programmes: M-course,
  • humanities and linguistics degree programmes: G/S-course.

Your allocation to a specialisation course is based on the programme you intend to study at the university. Before you can attend the Studienkolleg, you have to take an entrance exam which tests your German language skills (prerequisite for application: B2) and basic knowledge in regarding the chosen specialisation / subject. The entrance exam is usually taken in mid-August (for the winter semester) and mid-February (for the summer semester).

The Federal State of Saxony-Anhalt has a state preparatory college (Landesstudienkolleg), which is organised by the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg and the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences (FH).

Additionally, there are also three other private Studienkollegs in Magdeburg. Please mind that these might have more flexible courses but are also more costly. You can apply to the Studienkollegs directly:

Language Requirements: German


Most of the courses at Otto von Guericke University are taught in German. In order to get an admission to these courses, foreign applicants have to show a proof of their German skills. The following tests and certificates are recognized:

  • DSH“ "German Language Examination for University Entrance" (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber, level DSH-2). Selected courses require DSH-3.
  • TestDaF“ (all four parts at least level 4). Selected courses require test level 5;
  • DSD II“ "The German Language Diploma" (Level II) set by the Conference of German Culture Ministers (Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz- Stufe II);
  • Examination part German“ as part of the Assesment test of Preparatory College (Feststellungsprüfung des Studienkollegs);
  • Goethe-Certificate C2: GDS (Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom) from 01.01.2012 on;
  • the Goethe Institute's examination "Central Higher Level Test" (ZOP: Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung), the "Basic German Language Diploma" (KDS: Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom and the "Advanced German Language Diploma" (GDS: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom) no older than 31.12.2011;
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule.

Even though you had already learned German in the past, it is paramount to prove your language skill with the respective examination result: at least C1 for most programmes. Please check the website of the study programme you are interested in for irregularities. 


DSH exam at the OVGU

If you submitted a C1 certificate with your application, you are going to be invited to take the DSH exam. After passing the DSH exam with DSH-2, you are allowed to start your regular degree programme. The DSH exam takes place before the start of each semester in March (for the summer semester) and September (for the winter semester). 

The DSH lasts 2 days (1 day written exam, 1 day oral exam). The examination fee is 80 EUR. Participation in the examination is a prerequisite for admission to study at Otto von Guericke University. Information about exam dates and the current offer of German courses can be found on the website of the Language Centre

The university itself does not offer any language courses in preparation for your studies.

Language Requirements: English


Many international Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes at Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg are offered in English. For admission to these programmes, applicants need to provide evidence of an adequate knowledge of English, usually B2 or C1 level of the European Framework of Reference. The most commonly accepted tests are:

  • TOEFL-Test: B2 (72-94 iBT) or C1 (95-120 iBT) (we also accept TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition)
  • IELTS: B2 (minimum score band 6.0) or C1 (7.0) (we also accept IELTS Indicator and IELTS Online)  
  • CAE (Certificate of Advanced English)
  • PTE Academic: B2 (59-75) or C1 (76-84)

Please check the specific language requirements for the brief description of your studies, which language certificates are accepted. 

Some applicants are exempt from showing an additional proof of their English proficiency. This is the case for the following:

Secondary school leaving certificates from…

  • Australia
  • Canada (all provinces except Quebec and New Brunswick)
  • USA (High School Diploma)


  • British and international GCE A-Level certificates
  • Irish Leaving Certificate
  • New Zealand National Certificate of Educational Achievement
  • Scottish Qualifications Certificate

If the degree programme was completed in the respective country, university degrees from

  • Australia
  • Great Britain
  • Ireland
  • Canada (except degrees from the provinces of Quebec and New Brunswick)
  • New Zealand
  • USA


All other applicants must submit official language certificates with their application.

Last Modification: 03.04.2024 - Contact Person: Webmaster