Language Requirements

OVGU's exchange programmes ERASMUS and WORLDWIDE both have individual, qualifying language requirements. The explanations on language requirements stated below exclusively apply to the WORLDWIDE programme.

Appropriate skills in the language of instruction at the partner institution are an essential precondition for a successful study stay abroad. This usually requires language skills at B2-level or, if accepted by the partner institution in individual cases (for ex., Russian or Spanish), at least a B1-level. Depending on the destination and host university, courses will be held in English or in the official language of the country. You can find information on the language of instruction in our exchange database. You need to provide certificates proving the respective language skills in order to apply for the exchange opportunity.

If you have acquired a UNIcert language certificate during a language course at the Language Centre, you have reached the corresponding proof of language skills (see the back of your UNIcert certificate). For example, the UNIcert II level equals level B2, and UNIcert III equals level C1. Within the EU, the German-based UNIcert system is generally known and accepted in most cases. Outside the EU, UNIcert certificates will usually not be accepted as an alternative to TOEFL or IELTS.

The above language qualification standards are not negotiable. Our partner institutions expect proof of language skills in the language of instruction during their own application processes. Applicants, who have not yet reached the required language skills for their intended placement abroad, should start a course at the Language Centre, at the latest in the semester of WORLDWIDE application, and they should use every opportunity to aquire the required skills. 

English as Language of Instruction

A) Host countries USA and Canada:You will need a valid TOEFL certificate. Alternatively, some partner institutions accept the IELTS or Cambridge CPE/CAE certificates. The TOEFL requirement also concerns students in programmes taught in English at OVGU. You need to provide a proof of test results with your WORLDWIDE application. Some tests have waiting periods of up to 14 days between the test date and the result notification. Note on TOEFL: You can request for your scores to be sent directly to OVGU free of charge. Simply enter the OVGU institution code "0183" during your TOEFL registration.

B)  All other host countries with course offerings in English:
You only need a UNIcertIII certificate for English or a current proof of language skills issued by the Language Centre. Please check for test dates and procedures in due time.

Exception: Students of completely English-taught study progrmmes who wish to apply for mobilities beyond the USA or Canada, are exempt from proving English language skills. When asked for English language proof, they just upload their current grade transcript as equivalent proof.

[ top ]
Other Languages of Instruction

If you wish to study in any other language than English, and if you can prove language skills in the respective language ("secondary language") of at least B2 within the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, you do not need to provide the normally required proof of English language skills ("primary language").

In case you cannot prove the mandatory seconday language skills at the time of your application, or if you wish to choose courses from the English-taught course catalogue, if any, of a certain partner university, you need to present the English language skills certificate with your WORLDWIDE application.

We attach great importance to sufficient knowledge of the secondary language, i.e. the official language of the partner country, since this will ensure your social and cultural integration abroad. Secondary language skills below completed B1 level can be accepted as an exception to the rule only if the applicant agrees on a special "Lernvereinbarung" (language learning plan) with the respective department head of the Language Centre.

Countries with Russian as an official language:
Active A1/A2 proficiency in Russian should be demonstrated with the application.

Countries with Spanish as official language:
According to the requirements of the relevant partner university, B2-level or B1-level proficiency must be evidenced with the application.

Countries with Portuguese as official language:
With the application, in addition to the usual English evidence, active A1 knowledge of Portuguese should be demonstrated. (Check the SPRZ website for a running Portuguese language course.)

Countries with other official languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Ukrain, etc.):
Language skills need not be evidenced, however, evidenced skills are likely to support your application.

[ top ]

Last Modification: 08.11.2021 - Contact Person: Webmaster