Registering in Magdeburg

Registering in Magdeburg

Anyone who is staying in Magdeburg for more than three months is obliged to register with the City's citizens' office within the first two weeks of moving into an apartment. For this, you need your passport/ID card and the form "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (confirmation from your landlord).

The citizens' office distinguishes between EU/EEA citizens and non-EU citizens.

EU/EEA citizens: If you are from a country of the European Union or the European Economic Area, you will need to bring the following documents with you:

    • "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (confirmation from your landlord)
    • Passport / ID card
    • Biometric photo

In individual cases, the submission of further documents may be necessary:

  • Certificate of enrolment or letter of admission
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and
  • credibility of sufficient means of subsistence (see right of residence).

This will enable you to register for the EU freedom of movement certificate. This will arrive by post within a few days

Non-EU citizens: If you come from a country outside of the European Union, then you will need

    • an accommodation provider's confirmation and
    • a passport / identity card.

Directions to the residents’ registration office

The central residents’ registration office (Bürgerbüro Mitte) is located at Leiterstraße 2a, 39104 Magdeburg. This can be accessed by tram lines 2 and 9, "Leiterstraße" stop. Note: The residents’ registration office is closed on the 1st Wednesday of each month. There are also other residents’ registration offices in Magdeburg. Check to see which is nearest to you. Near the university you will find the Bürgerbüro Mitte and the Bürgerbüro Nord.  You can only make an appearance at the Bürgerbüro if you make an appointment. This can be arranged via the online appointment reservations.

In addition, the Mobile Citizens' Office (Mobiles Bürgerbüro) is available to you at the beginning of each semester. You will also need to book an appointment online on the pages of the Campus Service Center (building 18, Universitätsplatz 2).

Here you will find the opening hours:

Becoming a Magdeburg resident and “cash for study”

Students who stay in Magdeburg for at least two years are financially supported by the state capital Magdeburg with 160 EUR. The state capital of Magdeburg pays 70 EUR for the registration of students with their main residence in Magdeburg. Further payments of 50 and 40 EUR are made at annual intervals. Note: Anyone who withdraws their main residence before the end of the supported period must refund the amount already paid. More information is available on the website of  Magdeburg.

Registration rules during your stay

At the end of your studies and departure from the Federal Republic of Germany, you must de-register at the residents' registration office. The end of the stay must be announced in person or by the form "Abmeldung ins Ausland" der Meldebehörde (at the earliest 1 week before departure). For written de-registration, the completed form together with the passport copy and the "Wohngeberbescheinigung" must be sent to the following email address: .

If you change your place of residence within Germany, it is sufficient to register at a citizen's office in your new place of residence. The move within Magdeburg - also the change of residence within a dormitory - has to be reported to the citizen's office and the current "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" has to be presented.

Last Modification: 12.12.2022 - Contact Person: Webmaster