Frequently asked questions

Open-admission programs have no limits on the number of study places. Every applicant that meets the admission requirements will be admitted to the program.

With restricted-admission programs the number of study places is set on the basis of the available teaching capacity. Admission is via a Numerus Clausus (N.C.) process in accordance with higher education law.

Admission requirements are set out in the Study and Examination Regulations for the relevant program. In the case of open-admission Master degree programs, as a rule they go beyond the requirement of a degree obtained in the previous course of study. The proof that needs to be provided will be checked by the responsible board of examiners. All information on the admission requirements can be found in the relevant Study and Examination Regulations, or on the program web pages.

At the end of the online application, print out the registration/enrollment application (application for admission). The required documents can be found here.

If you are a citizen of a foreign country and have a foreign secondary school diploma, you must apply via uni-assist. If you have a German Bachelor degree, apply directly to OVGU.

The information can be found under the following link:

In order for you to enroll, the university must have received an electronic notification from your health insurance fund. If you decide to enroll at OVGU, please contact your health insurance fund quoting reference number H00001216 so that they can send us the electronic notification. As the applicant, there is no need for you to submit any documents from the health insurance fund.

If you have private insurance, we must receive an electronic notification from a statutory health insurance fund stating that you are exempt from the requirement to take out statutory health insurance. If you decide to enroll at OVGU, please contact the statutory health insurance fund of your choice so that it can send us an electronic notification of your exemption from the requirement to take out statutory health insurance.

Postal registration is the sending by mail of the required documents for registration/enrollment.

Information on this can be found in your letter of admission.

An officially certified copy of your first university degree certificate must be submitted by 15.12. if applying for the winter semester and by 15.06. if applying for the summer semester. Your certificate of exmatriculation must be submitted as a simple copy immediately after it is issued.

Basic information can be found in the study regulations. Any further information can only be given by the subject advisers in the relevant faculty. Explanations and contact information can be found on the web pages containing details of the range of courses.

Application documents are only returned by mail if the application contains a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage. Otherwise the documents will be destroyed.

If you give back your study place before the start of the semester (01.10. or 01.04.), it will not be necessary to de-register. Please note that you may not register with other university institutions with your student identity card. The application to waive enrollment can be found on this website under the “waiving enrollment” item.

You can check the status of your application at any time at the following address:

A significant proportion of the admission decisions and online enrollment can be viewed in the myovgu portal. Therefore, please log into the myovgu portal regularly so that you do not miss any news and no deadlines go unnoticed.

You can authorize a person (e.g. a parent) to undertake the application process on your behalf (with your signature and a copy of your identity card). To meet the deadline, it is sufficient for you to fax the online application data sheet signed by you to us in advance and to submit the remaining documentation as soon as possible thereafter. It is not possible to submit application documents online (by email).

No, “Bildungsinländer” are foreign citizens who attended a German school in Germany or abroad and in completing their schooling in this way obtained their university entrance qualification for Germany. Only obtaining a Bachelor degree in Germany does not confer the status of a “Bildungsinländer”. If, as a citizen of a foreign country you hold a foreign secondary school diploma and a German Bachelor degree, apply directly to OVGU.

No, German citizens with international secondary school diplomas (e.g.: IB, GCE, American High School Diploma or similar) must apply via uni-assist ( The deadline for submitting applications to uni-assist is 15 July.

The recognition of prior qualifications can only be undertaken by the Examination Office in the relevant faculty. Click here for an overview of examination offices.

Any public authority and other public offices that have an official seal can produce an officially certified copy. Copies certified by notaries and churches regulated by public law are also accepted.

Copies certified by lawyers, clubs, accountants, auditors, surveyors, assessors and so on cannot be accepted.  

The formal requirements for an official certification are taken from § 33 of either the German Federal or State Administrative Procedure Acts.

Details of the semester fee can be found under the following link: .

No, in the state of Saxony-Anhalt, no general tuition fees are levied. Fees only become payable if studying for a second degree. The arrangements for second degree tuition fees can be found under the following link: Please note that some courses are subject to fees.

Which courses are subject to fees?
Fees are payable for visiting students attending lectures, the “Study over 50” program, continuing education courses and language courses that are not part of the degree program.

In this case, information on your schooling, professional career, previous courses of study and similar is required, as a rule this is a curriculum vitae in tabular form with no gaps

  Information for new students can be found under the following link:

You will be requested to submit documents for enrollment in your letter of admission. The deadline for submitting these documents will contained in the letter (please do not miss it!). The enrollment documents must be received by OVGU by mail by the deadline stated in the letter of admission (incoming mail stamp).

All necessary documents for commencing your studies will be sent to you by mail (student identity card, initial certification etc.).


If you have a foreign Bachelor degree, you must apply for a Master degree program via uni-assist. Please visit the course web pages for information: Master degree programs

Applications for open-admission Master degree programs are processed as soon as the application is received. The total processing time can be up to 6 weeks due to the additional professional examination required.

Please contact the student secretariat.

Last Modification: 08.08.2023 - Contact Person: Allgemeine Studienberatung