FAQ for international students

Last modification: 05.10.2020 / 9:30 am

Can the enrolment period be moved further back?

Enrolment ends on 15 October 2020. You can choose to enrol from abroad and travel to Germany at a later date. Please check your emails and follow the instructions provided there. In any case, 15 October 2020 remains as the deadline for handing in all your documents via email.

[ top ]
What does the schedule for the winter semester 2020/21 look like?

The exact details of the semester schedule can be found in the academic year schedule.

[ top ]
Can I defer my admission to the coming summer semester 2021?

You can defer your admission for a non-restricted study programmes to the summer semester of 2021 if the programme also starts in the summer term. Please contact enrolment@ovgu.de before 15 January 2021.

[ top ]
Can I defer my admission to the next winter semester 2021/22 because my desired study programme only starts in winter semester?

You can defer your admission for a non-restricted study programmes to the winter semester of 2021/22. Please contact enrolment@ovgu.de before 15 January 2021.

[ top ]
Is there a Welcome Week? Are there introductory events in the faculties? Where can I find information about that?

There will be an introductory week. You will find more information here.

[ top ]
Will the winter semester 2020/21 be exclusively digital?

No, there will be a mixture between digital offerings and face-to-face events.

[ top ]
How long does the enrolment process take and what do I have to do in order to begin my studies?

As soon as your complete enrolment documents have arrived at the Student Registrar's Office via email, the enrolment process is initiated. After data processing and document checks, you will receive your student number, a payment request for the semester fee and other important instructions. Approx. 1 week later, you are officially enrolled and you can activate your OVGU account. You can find further information here.

[ top ]
I am still in my home country, but I want to come to Magdeburg for the winter term. What do I have to do?

You need the following documents in order to enter Germany: a letter of admission, a visa for study purposes, a valid flight ticket and a rental offer/contract for a flat/room. The certificate of compulsory attendance was sent to you with your admission to the winter semester 2020/21. From 11 September on you no longer need to present it to the Federal Police. For further information, please check the following website.

[ top ]
I would like to travel to Magdeburg, but I do not have a rental contract or the possibility to go into quarantine. What can I do?

Please contact the Studentenwerk Magdeburg (vermietung2@studentenwerk-magdeburg.de) and sign a rental contract for the quarantine period. During the quarantine period you will be provided with food by the dormitory tutors of the Studentenwerk Magdeburg. The costs for accommodation and food have to be paid by yourself. Please keep cash on hand for the provision of food. Please contact the following e-mail wohnung@studentenwerk-magdeburg.de for information about accommodation after the quarantine.

[ top ]
What do I have to do when I travel to Germany from a risk area?

According to an order of the Federal Ministry of 29.09.2020, the travel returnees/entrants must be quarantined for 14 days. The quarantine is not necessary if you, as a returnee, submit a negative corona test, which should not be older than 48 hours, to the public health department upon entry. Send the test by e-mail to einreise-risikogebiet@ga.magdeburg.de. You must be in quarantine until you are notified by the Health Department. Furthermore, you can take a free test within 10 days in the "Fieberambulanz" (Brandenburger Str. 8, 39104 Magdeburg).

Please register your arrival on our quarantine form and we will inform the public health authorities. If you do not want to be tested the mandatory quarantine time remains 14 days.

[ top ]
Do all travellers from risk areas have to be tested?

If you are travelling from a non-risk country or non-risk area, you do not have to be tested and you do not have to go into quarantine.

[ top ]
What are risk areas?

A risk area is a state or region outside the Federal Republic of Germany for which there is an increased risk of infection with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 at the time of entry into the Federal Republic of Germany. The Robert Koch Institute continuously updates a list of risk areas.

[ top ]
What does a 14-day quarantine mean?

You may not leave your apartment or room. Persons who live with you in your flat/ room are not allowed to leave the flat either. They are not allowed to receive visitors. You'll find more informations here.

[ top ]
Do I have to do the self-isolation in Magdeburg or can I do that in another City in Germany?

Yes, you can self-isolate in another city. Please contact the public health department in the city where you are conducting the quarantine.

[ top ]
If the result of a corona test is negative, do I still have to do the 14-days quarantine?

A negative test result in most countries means that home quarantine is no longer necessary. If typical COVID-19 symptoms (shortness of breath, new coughing, fever or loss of smell or taste) occur within 14 days of entry from a risk area, the responsible health authority must be informed immediately regardless of a prior negative test result. You should check unclear symptoms - even if the test was negative - with a doctor immediately.

[ top ]
How can I get food during quarantine?

If you have to take care of the food supply yourself, you can use Magdeburg-liefert.de. They deliver basic grocery needs which you can pay by card or cash. Products are delivered within 30-90 minutes and delivery is free of charge if you spend at least 5 EUR. Additionally, Lieferandoprovides delivery options for many restaurants offering various food styles.

[ top ]
My residence permit expires and I cannot come to the University of Magdeburg. What can I do?

Please write an e-mail to the Aliens Department Magdeburg (auslaenderrecht@ewo.magdeburg.de) as soon as possible and apply for the extension of your re-entry permit. For this purpose you have to submit the following documents by e-mail:

  • informal application (with a description of which residence title has expired and for what purpose you were abroad and want to re-enter)
  • complete passport copy (all pages)
  • current address in the home country of the applicant
  • Applicant's contact telephone number
  • Name of the embassy where the document is to be collected (location)

The Aliens Department then sends the documents by courier to the desired German embassy.

[ top ]
I want to renew my residence permit but I cannot book an appointment at the Foreigners’ Office in Magdeburg. What can I do?

Please apply for the renewal of your residence permit via email preferably 8 weeks before your current permit expires. You must send the application for a temporary residence permit an all necessary documents to ausländerrecht@ewo.magdeburg.de.

[ top ]

Last Modification: 07.10.2020 - Contact Person: Peer Niehof